From glass windows to glass doors and skylights, glass is an essential material to protect your home from the outside. So we got a little curious – what donâ€™t many homeowners know about what their home is made of? We dug up these facts and were a little surprised by some ourselves!
1. Glass is originally thought to have been made by people as far back as 3000 BC. by Egyptians and Mesopotamians.
2. The earliest known man-made glass is in the form of Egyptian beads.
3. When glass is cut, it isnâ€™t actually cut all the way through, but only on a surface level to allow it to break into the shapes and sizes we need.
4. The thicker a piece of glass is, the more likely it is to have a green tint. (Every notice this one?)
5. Glass has the quickest turnaround of any curbside product, back on store shelves in as little as 30 days.
6. Recycled glass, also called cullet, requires a lower heating temperature than glass from raw materials, thus requiring 40 percent less energy.
7. Glass is a combination of sand and other minerals that are melted together at very high temperatures.
8. By 1575, English glassmakers were made glass in Venetian fashion.
9. The beginning of stained glass windows dates back in ancient times when the Egyptians and the Romans manufactured small colored glass objects.
10. Glass can be recycled indefinitely and not lose its quality. Cool, huh?
11. September is considered â€™ Recycle Glass Month.â€™
12. The energy saved by recycling one glass bottle will power a computer for 25 minutes!
13. Light passes through glass because it has a random molecular structure.
Action Glass Co is a family owned and operated fully glass company with over 40 years of experience, and our professionals are ready to help you with your glass replacements. For more information on the many services we offer, call 800-24-GLASS or visit us on the web.