Imagine what our lives would look like without mirrors – we wouldnâ€™t even be able to see the difference! Mirrors are an essential part of any home and hold a lot of history. From the first invention to the improvements, here are 7 crazy facts you probably didnâ€™t know about mirrors:
1. The first form of a mirror was invented in ancient times. It was actually a small pool of water filled in a dark colored container.
2. People started making polished volcanic glass mirrors around 6,000BC, which meant no more water mirrors.
3. The first polished copper mirrors appeared in Mesopotamia.
4. The belief that breaking a mirror will bring you seven years of bad luck origins from Roman times when the Romans believed that by breaking an old mirror you also break your soul.
5. Some people say you can hallucinate by turning off the lights enough to see just your face in a mirror. Concentrate on your face for about 10 minutes and the hallucinations will begin.
6. Mirrors can reflect sound waves. They are known as acoustic mirrors and were used during WWII in Britain for detecting sound waves of the enemy.
7. Glass, the main component of mirrors, is actually a poor reflector. It only reflects about 4 percent of light which it strikes.
At Action Glass, we are a full glass service proudly servicing Queens, NYC, Long Island, and Westchester. From custom to jumbo sized mirrors, we deal with standard mirrors, antique styles, and more! For more information on our glass services, call 800-24-GLASS or visit us on the web.